Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Happenings and creations ...

My love affair with paper started when I was quite young (I much preferred stationery as a gift than toys or clothes) and then after years of studying and working, it was rekindled again when I discovered scrapbooking 8 years ago. This love affair has evolved into anything mixed media and the last 18 months has seen me use more products and techniques than I ever imagined possible, in making ATCs.

Last weekend I went away for a crafty / arty weekend and for the first time in ages I was back in the swing of scrapbooking. I still go to my local scrapbook shop at least 3 times a month to do a scrapbook class (so I get through my photos) and the last year has seen all the layouts piling up because I haven't added photos, or a title, some embellishments or journalling ... so it felt really really good to finish a bunch of layouts from a holiday taken overseas in October 2007. I'm still not completely done with the whole trip, but I feel organised and have printed all the photos and now just need to complete the finishing touches.

So here are some pictures from the weekend ...


Here I am doing some scrapbooking.


We awoke to a cool misty morning Saturday.


I shared a cabin with Sandra & Jill ... same one as last year.


A local deli ... my coffee saviour over the weekend.


I left early on the Sunday to attend my niece's 3rd birthday party, but on the way home I couldn't resist the "markets" sign and had to stop in. They had loads of stalls with vintage pieces and I bought this old Italian book and ruler.


My niece Alexis, 3 years old, with her Barbie birthday cake.


Me and Alexis.


My nephew Harry has to get in on the action too.

Here's my latest ATC creation for the Fan Swap through Advanced Artist Trading Cards UK Yahoo Group. I've scanned each individual blade before I put the whole thing together and added embellishments. The theme for this piece is the "Evolution of Life" and it encompasses major experiences in one's life such as birth; education/attainment of knowledge and skills; sharing of life with a significant other; acquisition of a home, car or even having children; then the end / a funeral. I am sending my creation to Suze Urquhart in the UK.


The beginning / birth.


Attainment of knowledge / skills.


Sharing life with another.


Acquisition of house, car or having children.


A funeral / the end.


The fan all together.


A close up of some of the detail.

I received my fan from Heather Fenn-Edwards also in the UK and it's just fantastic. Heather hand made the dragonfly embellishment and is going to be published with this beautiful bead-work, so I'm one of the first to see it.


ATC Fan by Heather Fenn-Edwards.


The amazing dragonfly.


Beautiful bead-work ... a skill that escapes me.


Lovely fibres and beads.

"Become a possibilitarian. No matter how dark things seem to be or actually are, raise your sights and see possibilities - always see them, for they're always there."
~Dr. Norman Vincent Peale, 1898-1993, Author of The Power of Positive Thinking~

7 comments:

thekathrynwheel said...

Oh wow this looks amazing. I'm in a rush to get to work . . . .I'll be back later for a better look! Kate x

Samantha Marshall said...

WOW!!WOW!!WOW!!The art work is stunning.
♥♥♥Your neice and nephew are gorgeous.♥♥♥

Brenda Grace said...

Funny how we all find ourselves straying away from scrapbooking yet it is still something we mean to get back too. o what fun you have had.

Kate Carvellas said...

Wow Di!! You were so right about our artwork having a deep connection without us being aware of it! Your Evolution of Life fan is beautiful, powerful and haunting! And your Asian fan is beyond lovely! And congrats on catching up on your scrapbooking!

Nic Hohn said...

so many beautiful creations Diana! I can see a great red heart of sauce Alexis plate...looks like you had a special time away.

Anonymous said...

you look so stunningly beautiful when you're working at art. that, is an honest comment.

your blog always makes me go "oh wow..." because.... (i don't know how many times i've already repeated this haha) it's beautiful.

oh, and hi alexis, hi harry.

you're so lucky to have such an adorable niece and nephew. they're, i guess, just as lucky to have you. :)

Shelly said...

Harry and Alexis are just darling !! Look how they've grown. Happy belated birthday, Alexis.
Your fan is exceptional, Diana. And what a beauty you received from Heather.
:-)
Shelly