Monday, June 23, 2008

More gifts in the mail today

It's a glorious Monday on the Gold Coast ... it's now over 3 weeks into Winter and other than a slight chill at night you wouldn't know that it is Winter as the days are still over 20 degrees celsius.

I did a swap with a very talented artist through the ATC_World Yahoo Group - Shelly Sessions. I absolutely love the 2 ATCs she's created. She's used mica tiles on her cards, which gives them such a wonderful look and she's also sent some in her package so I get to try them out on some art of my own.



I received another couple of WTA ATCs since my last post, to add to this blog and the one I received from Jill Kaar Hanson folded out to contain a very interesting story inside, which I'll transcribe here:

During the 19th Century the Calling Card played an important role in the Social life of young women. These lovely small works of art were used to let someone know that you had made a formal call. The cards were a message of courtesy and friendship. In the 1840s & 50s the young women started to collect the cards of friends along with bits of poetry and beautiful papers known as German Scrap. They collected all of these keepsakes in albums labelled memories, scrap or friends. Calling Cards - 19th Century ATCs.
(1) (2)
(1) Diane Speer, Montana USA (2) Jill Kaar Hanson, Illinois USA

I also received my first copy of ATC Quarterly in mail today and can't wait to sit down and read this printed journal.

Until next time, enjoy this quote:

"We are told that talent creates its own opportunities. But it sometimes seems that intense desire creates not only its own opportunities, but its own talents."
~ Eric Hoffer, 1902-1983, Author of The True Believer ~

No comments: