Saturday, January 3, 2009

Angel ATCs

The December theme for the Stampers Hut ATC swap is Angels and it's lucky the shop closed down for the Christmas / New Year period because I only just got them finished today. There's also a new blog created by the talented ladies that host the PaperArts Yahoo Group called 2cre8art and every month they are going to post a creative challenge. This month's challenge is Peeled Paper, so I decided to incorporate the two and kill two birds with one stone.

Here's the finished ATC and if you want to see how I did the background, I've scanned it every step of the way and posted the pictures below. I received the image of David Borneanaz in an email from the very talented Linda Baldock and he looked so hot in the picture I just had to use him in my "Angel" themed card ... considering he was also the vampire "Angelus / Angel" in the television series a few years ago.


Finished ATC
Step 1: To do the Peeled Paper technique, I basically stuck down pieces of printed paper all over my base - I chose 5 different papers and made sure there were no straight edges in the centre of the page. I used a glue stick to stick my papers down because that's what the technique called for and I actually added the papers to ATC sized bases instead of a large base that can be cut down afterwards. Once all the papers were stuck down, I trimmed the edges and then stuck masking tape down in some areas and ripped off to remove some of the paper / text - hence 'peeled paper'.
Step 2: I painted over the paper in red and dabbed paint off in some areas to reveal the text.

Step 3: I painted over the base colour with Making Memories Copper Glaze paint. Again I've dabbed some of the paint off.

Step 4: Add a little watered down black paint in some areas and rub off quickly with paper towel.
Step 5: I added a little Making Memories Ruby Glaze Paint over the black to tone it down a little.
Step 6: I've used a Tim Holtz splatter stamp with clear ink and embossed with red powder because my Angel is really a vampire and I wanted it to look like blood in the background. The embossing is actually not part of the Peeled Paper technique, but I added it because I like texture.
Step 7: I've inked around the edges in StazOn Timber Brown Ink and painted the German Scrap Swan wings that started off white with similar paint colours as the background, red and copper. I then used black rub 'n' buff and some gold rub 'n' buff on top to tone the black down a little.
In the final stage I added the words "Angel of the night" which I'd painted in the ruby glaze paint and inked around in the StazOn Timber Brown. You can still see some of the words from the original text through the paint, although it's difficult to see in the scan, but if you want to see more, just water down the paints and dab more off before it dries.
"Angels are messengers, but sometimes we misunderstand their language."
~Linda Solegato~

10 comments:

thekathrynwheel said...

This is FAB (for lots of reasons not just the HOT fella!)The background is amazing again - thanks for the tutorial. I think I NEED some of those making memories glaze paints.............!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous, really love how your background turned out.

Ozstuff said...

I saw your name in Hermine's comment section and was intrigued by its "Gaelic-ness". I can usually guess at the English translation of Irish surnames but this one has me flummoxed. Having said that, I am so glad that I was pointed in the direction of your beautiful blog. I am in awe at the work you have done on the angel wings ATC. Absolutely stunning.
Cheers from a fellow Aussie (in Perth). Marie - aka Ozstuff.

Ozstuff said...

Is it Docherty?

Femmy said...

fantastic!! love the BG and what a great image!!

Lady Di said...

Thanks for your comments, I really enjoyed making the background on this ATC.

Our surname is pronounced O'Coffey just like a cuppa ... wouldn't think it huh!

crafty creations said...

Stunning atc - the background is fantastic and the image - well!!!!!lol

Sandy said...

Wow this is stunning.
Unbelievable ATC.

Anonymous said...

i'm totally lovin your ATC chickie ~ what a wonderful creation using the tearing technique ~ fabulous work chickie! and love that image

kelsey said...

Love this one!!! Did I tell you I have a personally autographed pic from David that my brother got for me? His partner was a Hollywood agent (he actually "discovered" Winona Ryder & counts Patrick Swayze as a personal friend), so he organised it for me. It has pride of place in my studio! lol